Everyone who wishes to volunteer must sign a volunteer waiver the first time they volunteer that year. Signed waivers are kept on file for that calendar year. Waivers are available at the construction site or you can print yours here and bring it already filled out.
The Role of Volunteers
At Habitat, volunteers are the heart of our organization! More than 15,500+ volunteers assist in our home building program every year. They build homes, raise funds, work in the offices, feed hungry volunteers, work at our ReStore, and more. Our volunteers work alongside our homeowners and help them on their journey toward homeownership. Volunteer opportunities at Waco Habitat for Humanity include:
Each Thursday, a group of volunteers comes together to build kitchen cabinets for Habitat for Humanity homes. The workshop is outfitted with a set of tools and these volunteers build great looking cabinets that will be installed in each house Waco Habitat builds. Their volunteer service saves Habitat about $1,000 per house over the price of store-bought cabinets. This helps Habitat move more families out of poverty housing into a decent, affordable home of their own. Volunteers not only help Habitat build more homes, but they enjoy great fellowship with other members of the Cabinet Crew.
General Construction Volunteers work on our construction sites to help build affordable homes for working families in the City of Waco. While working on construction-related tasks with the homebuyer and other volunteers and by following safety guidelines, you can be part of the solution to poverty housing.
ReStore Warehouse Volunteer
The ReStore Warehouse Volunteer helps maintain the orderliness and cleanliness of the ReStore warehouse, equipment, and merchandise. Below are some common tasks that may be performed by the warehouse assistant; however, we welcome volunteers to help in whichever areas they feel most proficient.
- Greeting and helping customers/donors and educating them about Waco Habitat
- Tackling priority projects identified by the ReStore Volunteer Coordinator and/or other staff
- Report customer and volunteer concerns to the ReStore Volunteer Coordinator
- Answer general customer/donor questions
- Load customer vehicles and unload donor vehicles
- Help organize and maintain store inventory – repackaging/labeling/measuring
Homeowner Services Committee
The Homeowner Services Committee works with Habitat partner families through the sweat equity, homeownership education, and home purchase process, and facilitates families’ transition to new homeownership and their ongoing partnership with Waco Habitat.
- Become a Support Advocate Friend that sponsors partner families and homeowners
- Coordinate Homeowner College
- Produce Homeowner Newsletter
- Organize homeowner Christmas party
- Report directly to the Director of Family Services
Schedule: Volunteers are needed the first Tuesday of each month for their monthly meeting and are expected to make a one year commitment. Contact Ivon for more information.